what is the sonic Re-Dress project?
In a time where many people around the globe experience disconnection or isolation from other humans, this collaborative project offers the opportunity to connect virtually with others through listening to music and creating an artwork.
Follow the prompts below to join up with the rest of the African continent in this simple yet exciting exploration!
1. Choose a iOS hand-held device of your preference. You will be using the device to create your artwork whilst listening to the music on a second device (e.g. tablet / cellular device / laptop).
2. download free MusicPaint App here the app is designed to translate touch and sound into a visual work of art on the device screen.
3. MusicPaint choices
• canvas colour (for you to paint on)
• brushes red/green/white (which will change during the artwork)
• frequency pitches (that will influence the colour spectrum)
4. setting up MusicPaint
• click microphone
• tap touch bottom of screen for options and the page to create will open, indicated by a rectangular block in centre screen
• choose preffered canvas colour by tapping new and selecting one of the eight colours
• tap left-hand corner to return to create page
• tap options to open up brushes and colours icons
• select a tool/s which will then sample at the top of the screen
• tap back button which will ask whether you would like to further unlock one of the three main colours (red/green/white)
• if you elected ‘yes’ a pop-up to the App Store will appear to ‘purchase’ the extended brush range, although these are for free until 31 October 2020
• once ‘purchased’ from the App Store, the brushes will turn to white on your screen indicating the change
• tap back for your canvas colour to appear as full screen
• tap the left-hand corner for create page to appear
7. sending your Artwork
• before sending your artwork indicate country in subject line of email
• you can choose to submit your name
• to send: select the Instagram share icon (right) and send via Gmail
• if you don't have Gmail, elect your preferred browser and send to
6. Saving your Artwork
• tap left-hand corner to return to the create page
• save the image first (left upper corner)
5. creating your Artwork
• select the emotion/s you would like to listen to from the sliders below by scrolling down a bit on this page. You can listen to more than one simultaneously!
• hold your hand-held devise and click microphone icon on MusicPaint [note: microphone needs to be ‘on’ at all times]
• start drawing with your finger and have fun!!!
select a slider that reflects your emotion ... !
Music Credits: Marimba and percussion: Magdalena de Vries Piano, vocals and percussion: Franco Prinsloo Choir: Andries Brümmer, Franco Prinsloo,Ferdinand Liebenberg & Elissa Lessing Voice: Zusakhe Ngqame